Although tasks may be of a similar nature, remote working feels quite different from a job that requires you to go to the office. The comfort of your home may sound nice, but it comes with distractions that can easily take you away from an optimal work mindset or home office environment. You must also deal with the physical distance between you and your colleagues, which makes communication even more difficult than it already is. Be that as it may, all it takes is a good set of habits to stay focused on the job. Read on to learn about how you can improve your performance with these five keys to successful remote working.
- Take Useful Breaks – Sometimes, the best way to find focus is to get up and step away from the computer for a moment. Doing long sequences of tasks can become overwhelming and contribute to a “bad day”. If you feel like you need to, step outside, breathe in some fresh air, and take respite from the humdrum of your daily work. Doing so will allow you to refocus your energy – then, once ready, head back in and continue working.
- Be Accessible to Colleagues – Remote working, by its very definition, indicates that work will have to be accomplished from a location that is physically distant to others. Communicating effectively with other team members is hard enough in person, so do not make it harder between you and your colleagues by being hard to reach. Make use of the various apps at your disposal to stay connected with workmates – and utilize status updates to inform them when you are busy, when you are away, or when you are online and ready for messages. Feel free to schedule a time for answering messages if it helps you stay focused on work but inform your team to call you if urgent.
- Listen To Music That Helps Keep You Focused – While working unsupervised at home, it can be easy to get distracted by watching videos, scrolling through social media, and playing video games. Getting caught up in distractions can be fun, but they kill time that could have been spent getting work done instead. Instead of that, identify what kind of music helps you stay focused on work – then create playlists that you can stream or download. Music is a good way to condition the mind and listening to some during work can help limit distractions while keeping you entertained, energized, and motivated so that you can conquer your tasks in a timely manner.
- Invest In Home Office Peripherals – The importance of having the right home office equipment for work convenience cannot be overstated. Most successful remote workers have a second monitor, extending the amount of space they must display making it much easier to accomplish tasks. They also have peripherals such as a comfortable office chair and a mouse/keyboard set that works well. Having a comfortable office space equipped with these things will go a long way in creating a pleasant workspace that lessens the frustrations of dealing with malfunctioning gear and bodily pains from sitting in painful seats for extended periods of time.
- Stay Balanced at All Costs – The most important consideration when working from home is that the balance between work and home life should never tilt too much in either direction. Remote workers must make the effort to strike a balance and maintain it. Make a schedule of work hours and live by it – inform people in your family that you should not be bothered during those hours unless it is urgent. Then, if overtime is not required to accomplish rush tasks, reserve after work hours for yourself and family. Lastly, do not forget to rest as it is most important to build up the energy needed to be your best at work.
Are you wasting manpower hours on various processes that hamper your office instead of helping it? Come to Tukko Labs and heap your burdens on us. Send us a message today, unleash your own team of remote workers, and take your first steps towards freedom from the back-office.
Write a comment: