Office success comes as the result of a conscious decision to apply tried and tested methods of increasing workplace production. It also entails plenty of patience, sacrifice, understanding, and good old “hard work”. There are many workers that start their careers with the best of intentions, but the path to success lies in the everyday habits people exercise while working. Following are five work habits that may help propel you to office victory:
- Planning – This first path to victory should be obvious, yet for some reason not enough people practice it. It should come as common sense that a lack of planning will almost always lead to failure. The idea of this is to identify what the main goals are for a particular project, then organizing a schedule to attain them. There is no need to overthink, once a “destination” is acquired it will make it easier to start heading in that direction one step at a time. There are many apps available that make it easier to plan using desktops or mobile devices, so there really is no excuse to skip on the planning stage.
- Prioritization – Just as important as knowing how to plan is knowing how to prioritize tasks. Most successful people have made it one of their work habits to focus on one thing at a time, rather than spread themselves thinly by doing multiple tasks simultaneously. This way it is possible to remain in the same train of thought, limiting confusion by not having to jump from one job to another. Another option is to engage in the “batching” of similar tasks. Made popular by none other than Elon Musk, batching is a new productivity hack that allows a person to organize their tasks according to similarity – such as addressing all emails in one sitting or reading and updating spreadsheets during the same block of time. Whether the decision is to keep on single-tasking or to try batching tasks, either option is better than just doing whatever floats your boat at any given moment.
- Cancel Meeting Culture – Once upon a time, business was mostly handled by going through a grueling series of daily meetings to discuss and decide on important matters. These days, face to face meetings are held only if absolutely necessary, as studies have shown that meetings are actually a massive drain on time. It is now much more efficient to use email as the main source of communication. If emailing is not enough to get the message across, then interaction can be escalated first to a phone or video call. If all else fails and a meeting is imminent, try and get a copy of the meeting’s agenda and make sure that you are ready for it so that you do not end up wasting even more time than you must.
- Rest – Some believe that they need to tire themselves out working – but that is just plain wrong. The problem with overworking is that, without enough sleep, a person’s overall performance level at work suffers. It is imperative that people put importance on getting at least seven to eight hours of sleep in order to fully energize for a busy day. Deciding to rest is not the act of a lazy man, but the act of a serious man that is planning for success. Turn off all devices and avoid sweets when it is close to bedtime – then get some much-needed sleep!
- Accountability – Finally, one of the most common work habits of successful people is that they hold themselves accountable for their actions. While others may find ways to blame everything else under the sun for their mistakes, successful people take note of what they can do better, then learn from the experience. Facing one’s failures head on helps by turning these errors into stepping stones on the path to success. It is difficult to improve oneself without accountability, so if victory is a part of the plan, it is best to get on board with this today.
When doing business, everyone is prepared to do key tasks such as marketing and selling their products and services – but what most do not realize is that the amount of time and effort that will be spent on back-office processes will be just as important for the success of your business. Get in touch with Tukko Labs today and find out how our behind-the-scenes solutions can help you make the most out of your organization.
Write a comment: